Wednesday 16 February 2011

Botanical Treasures



I spent an afternoon rummaging around the Old Town book shop on Victoria Street in Edinburgh. I could spent days on end in places like that, but couldn't really afford to spend an afternoon there at all, let alone spending money on books and prints. And I did walk away with a print, but did so begrudgingly, as I had to walk away from the most amazing book, of which the above print formed part of. I can't remember the name of it now, but its a very rare thing... a heavy leather bound book about 8" thick, catauloging all variety of botanicals, and including a mass of hand drawn and painted plates. The guy in the shop got all excited when I explained what I was looking for initially (pre 20th c prints of plants and animals), so spent ages looking out books for me, all of which I couldn't afford, including this one. This book was stacked up high out of reach in one of the cabinets, and I felt all special having it bought out to view. Before he opened it I told him I knew it would be way out of my price range, but he insisted I see it. He said he knew how much I would appreciate it though, so really wanted to show me this one in particular. He was right, I was beside myself knowing I would have to leave it, it was gutting.<p>
Very kindly, he let me take photos before I left. I took more, but these are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment